It is freezing! I feel like we have been stuck inside for a century. When all else fails… COOK! This is the perfect time for some White Bean Chicken Chili. I have had this recipe for years now and love love love it. I enjoyed preparing it for my family knowing it was cold outside and they had a fabulous,warm, delicious meal to come home to. And lets be honest- it is definitely “soup season!”
This has the perfect blend of spices (not spicy) that leave you coming back for more. It is very healthy and filling as well. Add whatever toppings you prefer to finish it off and you are set. It contains tons and tons of protein! 🙂 Prep time is about a half hour or so. Let me know how you like it. I promise it will become a family favorite that you will use forever!
- 3lbs boneless,skinless chicken breasts halves cut into 1 inch cubes (I used a whole bunch of chicken tenders) *scissors make it go a lot quicker for dicing
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning mix (divided)
- 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (I did 3)
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno chili, (seeded and minced) don’t worry, does not make it hot.
- 4 (15oz) cans small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2(14oz) can reduced sodium chicken broth (the recipe only calls for one but I used so much chicken that I needed a little more liquid..so just eye ball it)
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese, plus more for topping
- avocado, tomato,sour cream for garnish
1- place chicken pieces in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning..toss to combine
2- warm 1 Tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken for 2 minutes per side. Transfer browned chicken to crock pot
3- warm remaining Tablespoon of oil in same skillet over medium low heat. Cook onion, garlic and jalapeno for 2 minutes stirring.
4- add beans, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper into crock pot with chicken
5- stir in broth and remaining taco seasoning (gauge how much broth you think you need)
6- cook on low 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. (you can get dinner out of the way early in the day if you’d like)
*In the late hour of cooking, stir in 1 cup of cheese. Add some yummy hot bread and you’re gonna LOVE it.
(makes about 6-8 servings)